June 18, 2018

For the last two weeks, I’ve been working on creating a new pants pattern. I created the initial one based on the Rundschau method for men’s trousers. It’s definitely an improvement on my old pattern but still not perfect. This week, I took everything I’ve learned so far and made a new, slightly modified pant pattern.

June 11, 2018

Last week I made a brand new pants pattern. I based it on the Rundschau method which turned out to be quite technical.

This week, I started by going to the thrift store and picking up some fabric and then made a basic sample pair from said pattern. Surprise, surprise, it wasn’t perfect. I adjusted the pants to get them closer and tried them on again.

By the end of the day, I had a pair of pants that are close to satisfactory, but not close enough so … tune in next week when I try again.

June 4, 2018

I have a pattern for pants & shorts, but as I’m learning how to sew, I realize that it is not very good so I am going back to the drawing board … literally.

This week I focused my efforts on creating a new pattern tailored specifically to me, from scratch. I used the Rundschau drafting / cutting system for trousers. Sounds fancy, huh? I thought so too.

View the Post »

May 28, 2018

I finished it up. The shirt is done. But not without a story.

It was a rocky start, I stumbled through some hiccups but found my footing to continue. A ton of process later and a second hiccup, but this one large enough to change the course of the garment.

In the end the shirt got made. I learned. Summer’s here & it’s all good.

May 21, 2018

I’m still very much learning how to sew, so I am and will be repeating projects … often. This weeks video is one such repeat.

A few months ago I made my first button up shirt and it was okay but kind of meh so I am returning to sewing a button up but incorporating what I learned from the first one, making new mistakes but generally, improving my skills.

Since the first shirt, I have modified my basic body pattern which means I also had to remake elements of my pattern like the collar, placket, etc …

But most importantly, because I’m still learning, I went to the thrift store and picked up a used bed sheet for $3.50 as my fabric.

May 14, 2018

I wasn’t ready to let go of last week’s project. Sure, I had a lot of struggles and that is fine, but I wanted to see if there was some way of getting the ribbed knit fabric on the neck of the t-shirt the same shade as the tee fabric itself. I went to my local dyeing specialist, got some supplies and gave it a try.

May 7, 2018

This project was as simple as it gets … a t-shirt. I wasn’t just using any old fabric though, I bought myself a brand new, really luxurious, velvety smooth, soft fabric that feels like being wrapped in bunnies. But not only that, it also has some weight and isn’t wafer thin like the ones you can get at your favourite fast fashion joint.

So aside from the awesome fabric, a simple straightforward project, right?! Nope! I just couldn’t seem to win! I kept coming up against challenges or just simply messed something up. Ugghhh.

I didn’t give up, persevered and eventually created a beautiful tee for myself. So in the end, yay me!

April 30, 2018

Every week I sew some sort of project but what I haven’t been showing is how I am altering and tweaking the pattern before I start filming. I’ve nearly got my upper body pattern just how I want it, so this week, that’s my focus. I’m going to get it right once and for all.

I fixed up the body piece but also made patterns for both the short and long sleeves.

I can proudly say I got it all right and now, I always have a base to work off of. I can make t-shirts, button-ups, sweaters, polos and, well, you name it really. If it’s a top, I’ve got a pattern to work off of now. Yay me.

April 23, 2018

I’ve made two of these band collar polo shirts now. The first two had a lot of flaws in them, especially in the placket and collar, so I tried to fix them up but had limited success. For this third attempt, I started from scratch and employed all the techniques and tricks I’ve learned to date.

Now I’m not going to tell you if it was successful or not because then there’d be no reason to watch!

April 14, 2018

They started out as a pair of women’s short shorts (listen, I’ve got a svelt figure.) but then last week I turned them into a pair of pants. I added that pale blue.

They just didn’t look right though, so a few days ago I chopped off most the legs and turned them into what you see here. Perfection achieved.

View the Post »