May 21, 2018

I’m still very much learning how to sew, so I am and will be repeating projects … often. This weeks video is one such repeat.

A few months ago I made my first button up shirt and it was okay but kind of meh so I am returning to sewing a button up but incorporating what I learned from the first one, making new mistakes but generally, improving my skills.

Since the first shirt, I have modified my basic body pattern which means I also had to remake elements of my pattern like the collar, placket, etc …

But most importantly, because I’m still learning, I went to the thrift store and picked up a used bed sheet for $3.50 as my fabric.

May 14, 2018

I wasn’t ready to let go of last week’s project. Sure, I had a lot of struggles and that is fine, but I wanted to see if there was some way of getting the ribbed knit fabric on the neck of the t-shirt the same shade as the tee fabric itself. I went to my local dyeing specialist, got some supplies and gave it a try.

May 7, 2018

This project was as simple as it gets … a t-shirt. I wasn’t just using any old fabric though, I bought myself a brand new, really luxurious, velvety smooth, soft fabric that feels like being wrapped in bunnies. But not only that, it also has some weight and isn’t wafer thin like the ones you can get at your favourite fast fashion joint.

So aside from the awesome fabric, a simple straightforward project, right?! Nope! I just couldn’t seem to win! I kept coming up against challenges or just simply messed something up. Ugghhh.

I didn’t give up, persevered and eventually created a beautiful tee for myself. So in the end, yay me!

April 30, 2018

Every week I sew some sort of project but what I haven’t been showing is how I am altering and tweaking the pattern before I start filming. I’ve nearly got my upper body pattern just how I want it, so this week, that’s my focus. I’m going to get it right once and for all.

I fixed up the body piece but also made patterns for both the short and long sleeves.

I can proudly say I got it all right and now, I always have a base to work off of. I can make t-shirts, button-ups, sweaters, polos and, well, you name it really. If it’s a top, I’ve got a pattern to work off of now. Yay me.

April 23, 2018

I’ve made two of these band collar polo shirts now. The first two had a lot of flaws in them, especially in the placket and collar, so I tried to fix them up but had limited success. For this third attempt, I started from scratch and employed all the techniques and tricks I’ve learned to date.

Now I’m not going to tell you if it was successful or not because then there’d be no reason to watch!

April 16, 2018

A handful of weeks ago I made a splint to wear, while I sleep, to stretch out my right hand. It works alright but it’s quite cumbersome, bulky and still has some pressure points.

I wanted to make a new one based on what I learned … and here it is.

April 2, 2018

When I was 3 years old, a big piece of farm equipment fell over and landed on top of me, pulling several nerves. As a result, a handful of muscle groups have atrophied, one of them being the muscles that pull open the fingers on my right hand.

As a teenager, I built a splint that I wore at night which stretched out the hand and lengthened the muscles on the inside.

As an adult, I threw it out and over the last few years, I’ve noticed the muscles on the inside start to shorten again so I’m once again making a hand stretching splint.

March 26, 2018

It is officially spring, I purchased a new pair of icy white Vans Era shoes and so all I needed was a nice new pair of shorts. At the thrift store, I found this wonderfully off-white, kinda cream coloured heavy twill fabric and I knew it was meant to be!

For the pockets, I used the same fabric I used for the lining in the tote bag I made about a month ago.

It took much longer than I had anticipated, but the shorts turned out wonderfully! I am pleased as punch with them and will definitely rock them soon.

March 19, 2018

I’m going back to school! A metaphorical school that is …

This week I decided to learn how to sew the welt pockets often found on the back of pants.

The process was fairly straightforward thanks to a few tutorials I found on YouTube but that didn’t mean I was any good. I ended up making three copies of the welt pocket just to improve my technique and get some experience under my belt.

March 5, 2018

This week I traded my fabric for some wood, my sewing machine for a circular saw and my shears for a drill.

I got a free microwave but have no space in my kitchen … ette. I had also received an old Ikea dresser so I decided to upcycle that wood and turned it into a counter/island type thing for not only the microwave but also additional countertop space.

It was a cheap & cheerful project and the final result, surprisingly decent. Perhaps that’s also because I didn’t have any expectations.