April 30, 2018

Every week I sew some sort of project but what I haven’t been showing is how I am altering and tweaking the pattern before I start filming. I’ve nearly got my upper body pattern just how I want it, so this week, that’s my focus. I’m going to get it right once and for all.

I fixed up the body piece but also made patterns for both the short and long sleeves.

I can proudly say I got it all right and now, I always have a base to work off of. I can make t-shirts, button-ups, sweaters, polos and, well, you name it really. If it’s a top, I’ve got a pattern to work off of now. Yay me.

April 23, 2018

I’ve made two of these band collar polo shirts now. The first two had a lot of flaws in them, especially in the placket and collar, so I tried to fix them up but had limited success. For this third attempt, I started from scratch and employed all the techniques and tricks I’ve learned to date.

Now I’m not going to tell you if it was successful or not because then there’d be no reason to watch!

April 16, 2018

A handful of weeks ago I made a splint to wear, while I sleep, to stretch out my right hand. It works alright but it’s quite cumbersome, bulky and still has some pressure points.

I wanted to make a new one based on what I learned … and here it is.

April 2, 2018

When I was 3 years old, a big piece of farm equipment fell over and landed on top of me, pulling several nerves. As a result, a handful of muscle groups have atrophied, one of them being the muscles that pull open the fingers on my right hand.

As a teenager, I built a splint that I wore at night which stretched out the hand and lengthened the muscles on the inside.

As an adult, I threw it out and over the last few years, I’ve noticed the muscles on the inside start to shorten again so I’m once again making a hand stretching splint.

March 26, 2018

It is officially spring, I purchased a new pair of icy white Vans Era shoes and so all I needed was a nice new pair of shorts. At the thrift store, I found this wonderfully off-white, kinda cream coloured heavy twill fabric and I knew it was meant to be!

For the pockets, I used the same fabric I used for the lining in the tote bag I made about a month ago.

It took much longer than I had anticipated, but the shorts turned out wonderfully! I am pleased as punch with them and will definitely rock them soon.

March 19, 2018

I’m going back to school! A metaphorical school that is …

This week I decided to learn how to sew the welt pockets often found on the back of pants.

The process was fairly straightforward thanks to a few tutorials I found on YouTube but that didn’t mean I was any good. I ended up making three copies of the welt pocket just to improve my technique and get some experience under my belt.

March 5, 2018

This week I traded my fabric for some wood, my sewing machine for a circular saw and my shears for a drill.

I got a free microwave but have no space in my kitchen … ette. I had also received an old Ikea dresser so I decided to upcycle that wood and turned it into a counter/island type thing for not only the microwave but also additional countertop space.

It was a cheap & cheerful project and the final result, surprisingly decent. Perhaps that’s also because I didn’t have any expectations.

February 26, 2018

At the end of last year and beginning of this year, I made two band collar short sleeve shirts. With both of them, I buggered up the collar and the front placket. Since then, I’ve learned how to sew them properly so I decided to go back and fix said shirts.

As I got to work, it became evident that it wasn’t going to be as easy as I thought it would be. In fact, this week was more fraught with problems than usual. I persevered, called out to Jesus for a bit of help and managed to finish up the revisions.

When done, I had certainly improved upon my old work. The new placket and collar aren’t perfect but there is improvement and progress so I am pleased with that. Life is about the journey and not the destination … am I right?!

February 19, 2018

Last week I made a tote bag out of denim. I made it not so much because I wanted a jean tote bag but because I wanted to make a practise version before I used the beautiful fabric I had found for this week’s project.

I improved the pattern a touch and added a gorgeous floral fabric liner. However, as I got into the project, I had some early issues with the phone I was filming on and then the fabric presented a series of its own challenges! I conquered and created a tote bag I am proud of and am actually using. Woot Woot.

February 12, 2018

I’ve had this tote bag I really like for about 10 years now. It is the perfect size because I can use it to haul all my supplies when I’m out for the day but is still nice and slim and carries well.

It’s breaking down so I decided to recreate it. I started by taking the measurements and drafting a pattern. I bought some scrap denim fabric at my local thrift store and then went about making it. I used the denim not because I want it to be made of denim but because it is the perfect weight to make this first tester bag out of.

There were a few hiccups and some goof and gaffs along the way but in the end, it ultimately turned out well.